Who Can Your New Hire Bring to Sweden?

Family walking along the water: Who Can Your New Hire Bring to Sweden Stockholm Archipelago / Image from:  https://www.stockholmbusinessregion.com/press/media-bank/  Photo taken by: Henrik Trygg

Does your transfer wish to bring their significant other with them to Sweden?

Perhaps they would like to bring a spouse, partner, an aging parent, or maybe they are the parent wishing to bring their child who is over 21 years of age. You need to know the rules for who is, and who is not, a family member by the Swedish Migration Agency, and the implications for your new talent.

Let’s clarify first. Who is considered a family member?

Definition from the Migration Agency website.

“A family member is:

  1. your partner (cohabiting partner, spouse or registered partner)
  2. your or your partner’s unmarried children under 21 years of age
  3. your or your partner’s children over 21 years of age if they are dependent on you for financial support
  4. your or your partner’s parents who are financially dependent on you (does not apply to the parents of students)
  5. another family member who is dependent on you for their subsistence or is part of your or your partner’s household or if you are required personally to take care of the family member for serious health reasons.”

One thing to note: When it comes to housing, most likely it will be more difficult to find an apartment rental if there are more than 2 people. Swedish landlords prefer as few people as possible for their apartments. Adult Swedes typically don’t live with their parents while young adults may live with their parents longer than they would like to due to the housing shortage. Houses versus apartments are usually easier to acquire through the rental market.

Bringing Parents to Sweden:

EU-citizens have the following options

1. Another family member (i.e., everyone who is not a partner / cohabiting partner/spouse or minor child) can substantiate secondary right of residence if they simultaneously prove they’re sharing a household (i.e., before moving to Sweden), economic dependence (must also be substantiated before moving to Sweden) or exceptional health reasons (which must be certified by the authority from where the move takes place). If then the “main family member” confirms primary right of residence as an employee, no comprehensive health insurance is needed.

2. The parent can always substantiate his/her own primary right of residence (if she/he herself/himself is an EU citizen) as a pensioner for example (and certify that she is receiving a pension) or through a guarantor, but then a comprehensive health insurance in the form of the document S1 or equivalent, or a private health care insurance is required (which corresponds to an S1) and is valid for residence in Sweden and does not have any unapproved exemptions or disclaimer clauses as it is called in the official language. The Tax Agency never recommends any private health insurance, but it is up to the individual to find one and get it tested by the Tax Agency.

Bringing a Spouse/Partner to Sweden:

All rights accorded to a heterosexual marriage – such as tax, property, inheritance law and the procedure for divorce – are the same in a same-sex marriage. This means that Swedish immigration law makes no difference between same-sex partners and heterosexual partners immigrating to Sweden.

Accompanying a spouse/partner who is working


  • If spouse/partner is a citizen of a non-EU country and is a spouse, registered partner or cohabiting partner (common law spouse) of a person who has a work permit, they can receive a residence permit for the same period.
  • If the partner’s work permit is for more than six months, spouse/partner can also receive a work permit of their own.
  • If the transferee/employee and same-sex partner are neither married nor in a registered partnership they must submit evidence to show that they have been in a cohabiting relationship for at least 6 months prior to the application for residency. Such evidence may include joint leases, joint bank accounts, and bills to the same address.

Accompanying a spouse/partner who is working


  • As an EU-citizen one has the right to work in Sweden without a work permit or a residence permit. This is called the right of residence and also includes the same-sex partner and family if they are EU-citizens. There are, of course, regulations around local registration for all EU nationals that come to Sweden to work as well as for trailing spouses.
  • If a person is an EU-citizen, but their partner/family is not and the person intends to stay in Sweden for longer than 3 months, they must apply for residence cards at the Swedish Migration Agency.

If you are planning to bring foreign talent to Sweden, navigating an unfamiliar culture and immigration process can slow you down.

Thankfully, our Immigration Guide to Bringing Foreign Talent to Sweden is here to help.

All of this can be quite confusing and there are many things that can cause delays and rejections from the Migration Agency along the way. If you would like to speak with us for a complimentary consultation, please contact us.

Relocate Global Talent Easily

Let us help you relocate your international talent
to make the transfer as smooth as possible.